Sunday 28 September 2014

PEARS


The pears took us unawares!  I had been ignoring the 100-year-old tree-full.  Then yesterday we found half the crop on the ground.  Oh dear.  Julia and I sprang into action - boxes of pears on offer to any passing souls, three bags of frozen pear chunks for "bicycle smoothies" at next Friday's "Harvest Day" at Lucerne school,
and 14 quarts of preserves.  Phew!
 

Today I found the dehydrator in the cold room - never before used by me - and filled it with slices of pear.  It is blowing away, happily I think.  But we're still not to the bottom of the pear box, and the Italian prune-plums await!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Good work Meo and Julia!
    What will you do when Doco's orchard starts producing?? You'll have to bring in help.... Does it still count for local food when you have to fly in labour???
    xxx
    R

    ReplyDelete