Thursday 21 April 2016

Fairyland, on the edge

Yesterday, as Kay, Mary Barnett and I walked down the Galena Trail, Kay spotted a "ladyslipper" (Calypso orchid) right on the edge of the path.  Since a child, I have considered them rare treasure and was more than a bit pleased.  "Oh", says Kay, "I know where there are LOTS."  Could that be?  "It's on a woodsy trail, on the edge, high above Carpenter Creek, below the Old Sandon Road.  I'll take you there tomorrow."  So, today we walked up the Old Sandon Road for maybe a kilometre to a small trail that slants off the road, parallel to the creek.  On the very edge of the constantly cutting-away bank, it winds along through the evergreens and moss and, in April, ladyslippers.  For half a kilometre it must be their perfect habitat because, as Kay promised, there were lots!  A fairyland.  
Beauties!

… more and more ...
… with "Echo" as accidental background.
To try to get some sense of our precarious position, I took a photo of Kay and Echo on the undercut bank( but with sturdy trees beside).  I skipped photos of the treasures on the very edge.
Mostly you see them only when you look right at them.
 I would guess we saw a hundred along this little path, all  with pinkish-purplish tops ...
… except, for geneticists, one white one.




2 comments: