Tuesday 26 August 2014

a new-to-me Ranch hike

I think I'll call this walk "the Bosun Bump".  It's the hump of land to the west of the trail we usually go on, past the two Bosun Lakes to Porter's lake (the "third Bosun").  Chris knows all the trails between here and Porter's Lake, and for 3 years I have been saying I would love to have Chris show us where some of them go.  So, a couple of mornings ago, he said "I'm going with Chewie.  Want to come?" So much for washing the floor …

 No photos of the actual route.  Only at our farthest point - "the stump ranch" (at Porter's Lake) where Chris and Ana and Jeff and boys lived for their first 3 years here.  Chris knows the horses, but found a length of baling twine to make Chewie a lead so Sparky wouldn't go for her .  I sat on the steps with Chewie while Chris said hello.
Chewie and Chris on the stump-ranch cabin steps
Sparky, Thunder and Chicklet (I think)

So, for future reference, how to go:  
On the "far field, follow the obvious trail steeply up "Nancy's hill".  Then straight up, through a space in the barbed-wire fence and about 50m beyond, to find a trail continuing up through the forest.  It's flagged here and there, goes through a draw between two humps (either of which one can climb for a view down to New Denver or down towards Silverton).  In the draw is a spring lake, about the size of Loch Colin, very green in summer.  Follow the flags to a slice of private land, logged 20 years ago, and follow its logging road down to the stump ranch.  And there you are!  Not sure how well I will do on my first solo try.  (My first solo lead, that is, - too many signs of bear to go it alone.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment