Tuesday 21 October 2014

UBC Apple Festival Musicians

Well, after the UBC vs Calgary field hockey excitement on Sunday, Doco and I followed the crowd (40,000 in two days!) down the road to the UBC Botanical Garden and the Apple Festival.  Cole went to look at apples, but I never made it past the front gate.  I had come to hear my favourite Celtic musicians - Michael Burnyeat (fiddler in the hat) and Don Davidson (mandolin-er in sun-glasses), joined by Dave Lidstone (guitar) - and here they were, playing on the "Small Stage" right inside the entrance.  I sat on the grass with Michael's mum, Colleen, for their whole act.  The day had turned warm and dry, very kind to the many families streaming by, in and out. 

Lots of my favourites - Growling Old Man and Woman, Maple Sugar, Ashokan Farewell - and some new-to-me Canadian songs - the "Ookpik waltz" and the "Pelican Reel".



 Other members of "ErRatica" joined them for their last few sets.  
(My secret ambition is to be able to join in with my celtic harp!)  


No comments:

Post a Comment