Thursday 22 January 2015

Protest

"Save the Sacred Headwaters.  We all live downstream!"

Thursday found Doco and me at our first-ever protest - on Hornby Street, outside the head office of Imperial Metals, owners of the proposed Red Chris open-pit copper mine in the large alpine basin that is the headwaters of three major rivers in Northern BC - the Stikine, the Skeena, and the Nass.  Imperial Metals is the same company whose tailings-dam at the Mount Polley copper/gold mine burst last August, dumping tailings into Quesnel Lake, feeding into the Fraser River.  The Sacred Headwaters region is unceded Native land - Tahltan.  A coalbed-methane-gas fracking project proposed for the Sacred Headwaters was cancelled in 2012 after two years of blockades.  Last summer, Fortune Minerals started work on a huge coal mine in the same area, and blockading Tahltan elders were arrested.  Thursday's demonstration was to protest the granting, to Imperial Metals by the BC Government, of permission to start mining, dumping tailings into a tailings pond like that at Mount Polley.  No one from Imperial Metals appeared.  Hmm …  I wonder what they thought.
Two-thirds Unitarians, one-third Aborigines, 80 or so in all

"Fish" and her mother hold up (for 2  hours)
"IMPERIAL METALS,  NO MORE"
Lots of honks and waves.
But the best part - "the Raging Grannies"
with their glorious hats and their version of "this land is your land … '"
Shall I join them?
P.S. Wade Davis published "The Sacred Headwaters" in 2012.  I think I'll look for it.
P.P.S.  Forgot to say that I got there because of playing my harp in Susie's recorder group!  We had to stop early because my friend Joane was going and I joined her.  These recorder players!

1 comment: