Thursday 18 June 2015

thrush (and lazuli bunting) song

At 6:30 yesterday morning, the Swainson's thrush sang its spring song, loud and clear, just across the creek from my bedroom window in the Old Ranch House.  My favourite birdsong - I hear it only in June, only in the tall forest, and mostly at dawn and dusk.  I thought the thrushes were not here this year, maybe because of the clearcut just above.  But, no.  Here it was!  So, how to post its song??  I took a photo out the window.  Somewhere there is a bird, but even I couldn't see it.  One seldom does, and then it is a rather plain brown bird.  Its song is its glory.  But I guess you can't hear it.

6:30 am
Today I had a bright idea(?)  My camera takes videos!  Not much to see, but I thought that if you closed your eyes you could hear the trill - something like: do-fa, re-so, mi-ti, fa-do (or C-F, D-G, E-A, F-C).  Up and up and up.  Susan Smith tells me that they actually keep singing higher and higher, above our range, and then start over at the bottom.  Helpful?

This evening, Doco and I walked up to Loch Colin where we could hear two thrushes singing their dusk song, up in the forest.  I pointed my camera at Loch Colin (where else?) and pressed record.  Four lovely songs.  Done, I noticed that the resident female Golden-eye duck was swimming on the pond and, it turns out, was swimming right through my 12-second video!  So, now you can see video of duck (rather small) and hear audio of thrush (a bit faint).
[or you could if I could figure out how to upload the video!?@*!  Stay tuned.]
………………………………..
June 26.  With Rachel's help, I seem to have got the thrush 'video'.  Listen hard. The thrush sings four times.

















Then, having got this far, here is the much clearer song of a lazuli bunting - small, blue head, rosy breast, white belly, grey back.  He sang all day for two days all around the old ranch house.  Probably nesting nearby.  A treat.





No comments:

Post a Comment