Tuesday 26 May 2015

Hubris?

I spoke too soon.  I should have remembered my Irish (superstitious) New Denver grandmother.  Moments after I posted my "orchard" enthusiasms, Doco came to tell me that not only two, but at least FIVE of our young apple trees are dying.  Now it appears that they all may be, probably from "Anthracnose", a fungus that comes from somewhere - air? soil? the nursery? - and is systemic and incurable.  Boo hoo!  No variety is spared - one of each so far.  Just thankful that we are not dependent on these trees for our livelihood.  Having found this, we hear from almost everyone we talk to in New Denver that "we haven't had any luck with apple trees."  As Doco says, maybe someone could have told us?  But maybe we didn't ask.  Pears and plums seem to do well (and we have just planted one of each … shh).
Doco and Aunt Susie inspecting the damage
Jonagold - tree#1 to fall
tree#2 -Golden Gala 

In a dark humour moment, one might say that we are keeping up the "failed-ranch" tradition.  But, at risk of further hubris, the blueberries look to be doing well and the strawberries, superbly!

2 comments: